According to our friends over at the Paul Gale Network, Nintendo’s consoles should both expect to see a Castlevania game in the near future. Consider me intrigued, as the portable Castlevania games have been some of the best in the series. Check out details of the rumors below.
Castlevania: Mirror of Fate
– Nearly a 1.5 year development cycle.
– Stars two different playable characters.
– Features co-operative play with the prospect of 3DS and Wii U being able to interact with each other.
– The game is indeed a 2D Castlevania experience.
– Like mentioned in the rumor PGN received back in 2010, the goal was to find creative ways to utilize the 3DS’ cameras and this has been achieved in part due to the very name of the game, “Mirror of Fate”.
– The forward facing camera will act as a mirror and the outward facing cameras will come into play for a new puzzle solving mechanic.
– A Wii U version of the same game was in contention when I reported the “shocker” announcement in 2011, but has since become Konami’s decision to give the system one Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 (not exclusively, however, as other platforms will too see a release, including Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PS Vita).
– More interestingly perhaps, was the idea that Mirror of Fate on Wii U would be the same game as its 3DS brother, treat the U-Control as the 3DS’ bottom screen and your TV as the 3DS’ top screen, be able to play the game across both platforms, use the Wii U’s forward facing camera as a mirror to “capture your reflection and reveal your fate”, and so on.
– Instead, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 on Wii U will be a different game which was safer for Konami, since it could 1) be an upgraded port of the Xbox 360/PS3 build and 2) still be able to retain some of its originally intended plans when it was Mirror of Fate, including some 3DS connectivity.
– The development of Wii U’s own ground-up Castlevania sku could still happen, I’m being told.