Supposedly, a source that is closely involved with the distribution and manufacturing of Nintendo products revealed some information.
– total cost of materials to manufacture the Wii U console (includes cost of controller)
is estimated to be around $180
– controller’s total bill of materials and components costs no more than $50
– Wii U will be no less than $300 when it launches
Nintendo is mainly concerned with producing a product that is inexpensive for consumers and up to date with technology that would bring in investors.
– NFC capabilities for each new Wii U controller costs no more than $5 to implement
– price of NFC implementation in mobile devices is expected to fall below $1
in the near future
– Microsoft’s Kinect cost $56 after tearing it apart
– Wii U controller’s cost of materials would be slightly less than what Kinect cost
Of course this is all rumor speculations found here, but this seems pretty logical in terms of the Wii U cost. In June at E3, we will know for certain the complete and total truth to all details involved with the Wii U.